Artists impression of the planned extension to Glasgow Womens Library
Some of the artefacts to found in the collections of the Glasgow Womens Library
Real Life Legacy > Glasgow Women Library
Glasgow Women’s Library
The community was keen that the relocation of Bridgeton Library into the Olympia would not jeopardise the future of its former home which was an original Carnegie library that had opened in 1903 and which still retained almost all of its distinctive features.
Clyde Gateway was able to attract a new occupier for the building in the shape of the Glasgow Womens Library (GWL), which, since its origins in 1991, had been housed in a number of temporary locations.
GWL is the only resource of its kind in Scotland. As well as a lending library it contains a treasure trove of historical and contemporary artifacts and archive materials that celebrate the lives, histories and achievements of women. GWL also assist thousands of women across Scotland every year to improve their lives through services and programmes, including support and activities that tackle a wide range of issues from poverty and women’s health, sexuality and surviving violence, provided by 13 paid staff and a team of more than 80 volunteers.
In November 2014, a major renovation project got underway at Landressy Street which involves an internal refurbishment to build a dedicated archive, museum space and a new learning venue together with significant external structural works and the installation of a lift to the upper floor. The new-look building was officially opened by the First Minister Nicola Sturgeon MSP on 7 November 2015.
GWL have quickly become a part of the changing face of the Clyde Gateway area, working alongside a number of long-established groups and organisations to improve the health and well-being of local residents. More information can be found at www.womenslibrary.org.uk