The new-look Olympia, home to Boxing Scotland’s elite athletes
The first BFI Mediatheque in Scotland can be found on the ground floor of the Olympia
Real Life Legacy > Olympia, Bridgeton Cross
Olympia, Bridgeton Cross
It was following the completion of our £1.2m investment to upgrade Bridgeton Cross that local residents asked Clyde Gateway to find a way to bring the Olympia back into use.
A much-loved and landmark building which opened in September 1911 had served the community, primarily as a theatre and cinema, for more than 70 years before closing in the mid-90s. It fell into a sad state of disrepair and was a constant reminder of better and more prosperous times.
Clyde Gateway bought the Olympia for £2 million in 2009 and spent a year working up proposals that would bring it back into use in a way which would balance the desire for a community use of the building with realistic construction and running costs.
Work began in May 2011 on an £8 million conversion and just 18 months later the building re-opened to great acclaim. It now houses a public library and café on the ground floor, a High Performance Centre for amateur boxing on the first floor and two top floors of distinctive office space that have brought almost 70 jobs to the area.
The library, with its extensive range of books, magazines, CDs and DVDs, together with 32 personal computers offering free internet access, a community room, a children’s area and Scotland’s first Mediatheque offering access to the national archives of the British Film Institute, has proven to be a huge success with the number of users doubling in comparison to its former location in nearby Landressy Street.